About American Hiking
At American Hiking, we envision a world where everyone feels welcome in the American hiking community and has permanent access to meaningful hiking, including urban, frontcountry, and backcountry opportunities. We will achieve this vision by empowering all communities to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience; advocating for the protection and expansion of hiking spaces; fostering trail stewardship; and collaborating with partners whose strengths are complementary. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic.
Position Type: Full Time (Exempt)
Salary/Benefits: Salary for this position is $40,000 and is commensurate with experience. Benefits include full health coverage, generous vacation leave within the first year of hire, and discounts on outdoor gear.
The Digital Marketing Coordinator supports the promotion of American Hiking’s programs and mission to a diverse hiking audience. This position takes primary responsibility in scheduling, managing, and cultivating American Hiking’s social media channels. The Digital Marketing Coordinator works within all marketing activities including creating and curating content, tracking key performance indicators, building relationships with new and existing partners and influencers, and fostering American Hiking’s digital community. The Digital Marketing Coordinator reports to the Communications and Creative Director.
- Schedules content and monitors engagement on American Hiking’s social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
- Creates digital content for all AHS programs including National Trails Day®, Hike the Hill®, Volunteer Vacations, Alternative Break, NextGen Trail Leaders, and other advocacy and fundraising campaigns in collaboration with development and program staff
- Assists in the development of a strategic digital marketing plan and plays a key role in implementing the plan
- Coordinates content with NextGen Trail Leaders, ambassadors, and other partners and collaborators
- Writes and edits content for AHS blog and website
- Analyzes social media metrics and strategizes methods to improve user engagement
- Assists with the creation of a social media style guide
- Stays current on social media and digital marketing best practices
- Other duties as assigned
Preferred Skills and Experiences
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or a related field
- 2 years of experience managing Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for business or preferable nonprofit organization
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Proficiency in copy editing
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and written
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Customer service mindset
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Experience using Hootsuite or other social media schedulers
- Basic graphic design skills with experience using Canva, Adobe Spark, or similar design app, experience using Adobe Creative Cloud is a plus
- Familiarity with WordPress or other CMS
Send cover letter, resume, contact information for two professional references, and links to any social media accounts you currently manage to Wesley Trimble at [email protected] with “Digital Marketing Coordinator” and your first and last name in the subject line. Position will remain open until filled. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.