DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
American Hiking Society is focused on empowering all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience. The Director of Development, a full-time, permanent position, creates and implements our strategy for a diverse and integrated fundraising program that ensures organizational strength and sustainability. They have the leadership responsibility to manage our membership program and develop funding strategies to secure individual, foundation, and corporate support. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Membership & Social Media Coordinator (and occasionally interns and volunteers). They work closely with senior leadership and the Board to meet annual individual giving, membership, foundation, and corporate revenue goals, setting and executing fundraising strategies. American Hiking Society offices are located just outside of Washington, DC in Silver Spring, MD. This position can be a remote position based anywhere in the continental United States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead in the design and implementation of American Hiking’s major donor, individual giving, membership, foundation, and corporate fundraising strategies, including setting annual fundraising goals.
- Work with Executive Director, program staff, Board of Directors, and applicable board committees to implement those strategies.
- Responsible for the development and management of American Hiking Society’s membership and direct mail solicitation programs, with the assistance of the Membership and Social Media Coordinator and (when available) volunteers.
- Responsible for overseeing data entry for membership and individual donations, with the assistance of the Membership and Social Media Coordinator and (when available) interns.
- Identify and research major individual donors and establish solicitation strategies for the Executive Director, Board, and appropriate staff members.
- Identify foundation funding opportunities and serve as the lead foundation grant writer, working with other staff as relevant.
- Identify corporate sponsors, develop and maintain relationships with them, and create and implement AHS’ strategy for participation in the Outdoor Retailer trade show.
- Oversee the work plan of the Membership & Social Media Coordinator to meet fundraising and membership targets while also ensuring their availability for the broader social media needs of the organization.
- Expand AHS’ crowd-sourced fundraising activities.
- Construct annual plans, timelines, performance benchmarks and progress reports to guide development activities, achievements, and emerging opportunities.
- Assist the Membership and Social Media Coordinator and any interns with membership and donations data entry and analysis as needed and during peak times (e.g., Nov – Jan.).
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible professional fundraising experience is required.
- Demonstrated success in starting and/or growing successful individual donor programs and securing sustainable funding from foundations.
- A demonstrated self-starter who can be both collaborative and decisive, with strong organizational, oral and written communication, and fiscal management skills. Strong grant writing ability and expertise in donor database management systems a must.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to connect to potential donors and members of all ages and backgrounds.
- Love of outdoor recreation and passion for the AHS mission a must, with an authentic ability to connect with corporate sponsors in the outdoor industry (and other industries) and create impactful cause-marketing campaigns.
- Innovative thinker with a passion for researching and applying the latest fundraising techniques.
- Familiarity with social media platforms and using them for fundraising and cause marketing campaigns a must, as is familiarity with WordPress, CRM databases, and basic photo editing programs.
American Hiking Society provides an exciting, creative, and professional-yet-relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic and a commitment to promoting justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in the outdoors. Position requires a willingness to share a love of our mission with all stakeholders. Weekend and long hours are required, but only rarely. Travel requirements are minimal. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer. American Hiking offers full employer-paid health insurance, retirement (without matching), pre-tax commuter transit deduction (for public transit and where such programs are available), and generous leave benefits (18 days vacation, federal holidays, and generous sick, parental, and other types of leave), along with flexible work hours.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Send a cover letter, resume, and the names of 3 references to [email protected] with ‘Director of Development’ and First and Last name in the subject line. Please include in your email how you found out about this position.
Applications will be accepted until 9/20/2019.