DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT & MARKETING
American Hiking Society is focused on empowering all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience. The Director of Development & Marketing, a full-time, permanent position, will develop a strategy for a diverse and integrated fundraising program that will ensure organizational strength and sustainability. They will have the leadership responsibility to manage our membership program and develop funding strategies to secure individual, corporate, and foundation support. The Director of Development & Marketing reports to the Executive Director and supervises the Development & Marketing Coordinator. They work closely with senior leadership to meet annual revenue goals through the formulation and execution of strategic development plans that are oriented to establishing new and enhancing existing funding. American Hiking Society offices are located just outside of Washington, DC in Silver Spring, MD. This position can be a remote position based anywhere in the continental United States.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with Executive Director, program staff, Board of Directors, and applicable board committees to refine American Hiking’s core marketing and development strategies and messages.
- Set annual fundraising goals, develop a fundraising plan and secure funding support for AHS programs and operations.
- Responsible for the creation and management of American Hiking Society’s major gift, corporate, individual, and foundation fundraising initiatives and strategies.
- Responsible for the development and management of American Hiking Society’s membership and direct mail solicitation programs. This includes monthly renewal mailings, management of membership database operations, and managing acquisition and appeal campaigns.
- Identify and research major individual donors and establish solicitation strategies for the Executive Director, Board, and appropriate staff members.
- Oversee the work plan of the Development & Marketing Coordinator to meet fundraising and membership targets.
- Oversee cause marketing corporate sponsorships, direct AHS participation in outdoor trade shows, and represent the organization at diverse public settings, including National Trails Day®.
- Develop marketing strategies to increase AHS’ online audience (on website and social media platforms) and market corporate partners/brands.
- Expand AHS’ crowd-sourced fundraising activities.
- Obtain donated products from AHS’ corporate partners for use in AHS’ programs.
- Manage information and graphics related to development activities on the AHS website.
- Construct annual plans, timelines, performance benchmarks and progress reports to guide development activities, achievements, and emerging opportunities.
- Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of increasingly responsible professional fundraising experience is required.
- Demonstrated success in starting and/or growing successful individual donor programs and working with corporate and foundation funders.
- A demonstrated self-starter who can be both collaborative and decisive, with strong organizational, oral and written communication skills. Strong grant writing ability and expertise in donor database management systems.
- Knowledge of cause-related marketing strategies and recreation/outdoor industry experience is desirable.
- Excellent administrative, fiscal management, communications and organizational skills.
- Familiarity with social media platforms, WordPress, CRM databases, and basic photo editing programs.
American Hiking Society provides an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. Position requires a willingness to share a love of the outdoors with all stakeholders. Weekend and long hours are required, but only rarely. Travel requirements are minimal. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer. American Hiking offers full employer-paid health insurance, retirement (without matching), pre-tax commuter transit deduction (for public transit and where such programs are available), and generous leave benefits (18 days vacation, federal holidays, and generous sick, parental, and other types of leave), along with flexible work hours.
The salary range for this position is $60,000 – $70,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with ‘Director of Development and Marketing’ and First and Last name in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until 8/2/2019.