American Hiking Society is seeking to hire a part-time Finance and Office Manager, effective immediately. The ideal candidate is a recent finance/accounting graduate or working professional with at least 3 years of office management and accounting experience seeking a friendly and dynamic work environment at a national non-profit.
The Finance and Office Manager at American Hiking Society is responsible for the administration of all financial and human resources activities and data and oversees general office management. The position will be based at American Hiking headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. This is a part-time position (21 hrs per week) that reports directly to the Executive Director. The selected candidate will work with the Executive Director to determine what 21 hour per week schedule will work best.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the management, maintenance and reporting of all financial and human resources data at American Hiking Society, using QuickBooks Premium, MS Office software, the Google suite, and Slack.
- Provide critical financial and operational information to the Executive Director, and prepare and maintain regular financial reports to staff.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and overhead cost allocation. Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis and prepare monthly financial reports from QuickBooks to Excel for the Executive Director, Finance Committee, and Board of Directors.
- Serve as liaison with outside contractors for annual audit and 990 preparation.
- Administer annual budget development. Monitor and maintain all financial information, including grants monitoring and reporting, the accounts payable system, payroll, bank deposits and reconciliation, funds received and receivable, and travel reimbursements.
- Administer all human resources services for a small staff, including health and retirement benefits package, payroll and leave; and manage the organization’s various insurance plans.
- Assist with periodic membership mailings, data entry and website content updating as needed.
- Volunteer vacations host package fulfillment.
- Oversee general office management, including but not limited to: inventory of in-kind product, filing paperwork (digitally and physically), distributing mail, and keeping office and storeroom supplies organized and filled.
- Logistics and reservations for local annual board of directors meeting.
- Assist with logistics for other AHS meetings, as needed.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree in finance/accounting or related field, OR at least 3 years experience implementing generally-accepted accounting principles full-cycle, across all accounting functions.
- Preferred: Knowledge and understanding of fund accounting principles, practices and regulations, especially related to non-profit accounting and management.
- Candidate should thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and have an excellent ability to manage multiple, competing priorities.
- Solid, basic understanding of Quickbooks a must. Demonstrated, significant experience in QuickBooks Pro, MS Office, and the Google suite of apps a plus. Knowledge of Quickbooks must be deep, with solid understanding of all relevant Quickbooks functions and quick ability to problem-solve and troubleshoot OR must have ability and willingness to learn quickly through inexpensive self-teaching methods.
- Demonstrated database management skills with ability to produce reports. Ability to use advanced computer functions.
- Very strong organizational skills and accuracy, attention to detail, ability to multi-task with efficiency and accuracy, and ability to proficiently keep on top of a complex to-do list an absolute must.
- A positive attitude, interpersonal skills, and strong written and verbal communication.
- Enjoyment of hiking and the great outdoors is a plus.
American Hiking Society is the only national organization dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s hiking trails, the natural areas that surround them, and the hiking experience. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. American Hiking Society is easily accessible by Metro (Red Line, Silver Spring) and offers benefits like paid leave and health insurance. Salary commensurate with experience, between $25,000 and $29,000 for half time; it will not be possible to negotiate the salary upward.
Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least 3 references with the subject line “FOM Job Search” to: email@example.com.
No phone calls please. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.