Making a gift of stock or securities

Home » Articles » Join & Donate » Making a gift of stock or securities

Did you know that you may be able to decrease your tax burden by donating long-term holdings (12 months or more) of stock or other securities to American Hiking Society, rather than making a monetary donation? This is because when donating appreciated stock, you not only get a tax deduction for the amount of the current value of your shares, but you also avoid paying taxes on the capital gains on the appreciation of those shares in the future. In effect you’re donating money that you’ve never paid taxes on in the first place. (And never will!) Additionally, you pay no brokerage fees or sales commissions and it may even help prevent paying any alternative minimum tax (AMT).

If your stocks that have decreased in value from your original purchase price, however, you should consider selling them and making a monetary contribution to American Hiking Society so that you can take a capital loss deduction on your tax return and still receive the tax deduction for the full amount of your donation.

How to Donate Stocks and Securities

It’s easy! If your shares are held in “street name” at a brokerage just call Peter Olsen at 1-800-972-8608 ext 205 and after obtaining some basic information from you (including approximate number of shares and the date the stock was acquired) we’ll send you a short form to complete and return and that’s it. Go for a hike and enjoy the trails that you’re helping to protect.

If you are in possession of stock certificates, mail the unendorsed certificates to:
American Hiking Society
Attn: Peter Olsen
1422 Fenwick Lane
Silver Spring, MD 20910

In a separate envelope, send a signed stock power (available from us or your financial institution), to the same address. Both envelopes should be postmarked on the same date as that will determine the date of the gift.

For more information on the benefits of such gifts or to discuss the transfer of securities in more detail, please speak to your financial advisor or contact American Hiking Society’s Peter Olsen at 1-800-972-8608 ext. 205.

American Hiking Society is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Your contribution is tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.