American Hiking Society is the national voice for America’s hikers and protects and preserves hiking trails, their surrounding natural areas and the hiking experience. The Development Assistant provides administrative & marketing support to the development and membership functions of the organization. This position supports all fundraising activities including social media, donor and membership database management, direct mail appeals, donor research, and special events. The Development Assistant reports to the Director of Development & Marketing and is based at the organization’s headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with ‘Development Assistant’ and your first and last name in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until January 20, 2017
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the development and management of American Hiking Society’s Individual membership and Alliance membership program. This includes the monthly membership renewal mailings, membership database operations, membership marketing & communication, membership acquisition, and extra gift appeal campaigns.
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgment letters, membership premiums, and other correspondence.
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files.
- Continually enter, update, correct, and reconcile database records in Abila (formerly SAGE) software. Run and analyze donor reports as needed.
- Manage AHS’s social media presence. This includes developing marketing strategies, content creation, graphic design, and tracking growth and reach.
- Conduct preliminary research on prospective corporate, foundation and individual donors.
- Coordinate productions and mailing of spring and year-end appeal letters.
- Track philanthropic requests, pledges and contributions respond to member queries.
- Assist in the preparation of grant proposals, and prepare mailing materials like invitations, solicitations, and newsletters.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- One + year experience in an administrative position, preferably in a not-for-profit development office.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, and PowerPoint.
- Database management experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Tremendous attention to detail
- Proficiency in social media marketing for business or non-profit
- Ability to present information concisely and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to organize and prioritize work
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of customer service and previous non-profit experience
- Familiarity with social media platforms, WordPress, and basic photo editing programs.
American Hiking Society provides an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. Position requires a willingness to hike and share a love of the outdoors with all stakeholders. Weekend and long hours are sometimes required, but compensated. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.