Land managers, volunteer coordinators, trail and park organizations…we want to send you hardworking and dedicated volunteers to fulfill your trail project needs in 2018! We understand that with reduced budgets and limited resources, trail building and maintaining needs often get backlogged or remain incomplete. Our Volunteer Vacations program is designed to send you a crew of eager volunteers, ready to assist with your trail needs.
Volunteer Vacations are week long trail building/maintaining projects organized by American Hiking Society & hosted by BLM, NPS, USDA-FS, USFWS, state parks, trail organizations and other nonprofit partner groups across the country. Most projects are one-week or shorter in length, consist of 6-15 crew members, and involve trail maintenance and building tasks on hiking trails on public lands.
NEW THIS YEAR! We will be providing webinars to walk you through the basic responsibilities of hosting a volunteer crew, highlight the benefits of hosting volunteers, and provide instructions and deadlines to apply. Webinars will be offered on 10/3 (3pm-4pm EDT) and 10/10 (12-1PM EDT). Sign up for a webinar, HERE.
[column size=”1-3″ last=”0″]American Hiking provides the following project assistance:
- Promotion of your trip nationally through our website, printed trip schedule, industry events and through our sponsors and partners
- Logistical support and communication throughout the planning and trip process
- Volunteer food stipend for trips that cannot provide food
- Assistance from a volunteer crew leader who will aid with menu planning, food shopping and lodging logistics
[column size=”1-3″ last=”0″]Hosts provide (see Volunteer Vacations Host Guide 2018):
- Project plan and backup plan
- Technical expertise and supervision for the volunteers
- Lodging/Accommodations for volunteers (cabin, lodge, house, improved or primitive campsite)
- Tools & safety equipment/first-aid supplies
- Group cooking supplies including stove, pots, pans, utensils, and fuel (see AHS Volunteer Vacations Group Cooking Gear)
- Transportation to the worksite if hiking is not an option
- Airport Pickup and Drop-off for volunteers (not required but highly recommended)
[column size=”1-3″ last=”1″]Volunteers provide:
- Volunteer labor and eager attitudes!
- Camping gear (backpack, sleeping bag, tent, personal items) if indoor accommodations are not provided
- Travel to and from a predetermined pick-up point, generally the closest major airport
[button link=”https://volunteervacations.americanhiking.org/volunteer-vacations/host-information/request-a-crew/” target=”self” color=”#007045″ text=”light”]REQUEST 2018 VOLUNTEER VACATION CREW[/button]
If you need further information about hosting a Volunteer Vacation, please contact Libby Wile at LWile@americahiking.org or call 800-972-8608 ext. 704.
Spread the word about hosting a Volunteer Vacation by sharing the AHS Volunteer Vacations Host Overview.