Job Opportunities with American Hiking Society
Finance and Office Manager
American Hiking Society is seeking to hire a part-time Finance and Office Manager, effective immediately. The ideal candidate is a recent finance/accounting graduate or working professional with at least 3 years of office management and accounting experience seeking a friendly and dynamic work environment at a national non-profit.
The Finance and Office Manager at American Hiking Society is responsible for the administration of all financial and human resources activities and data and oversees general office management. The position will be based at American Hiking headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. This is a part-time position (20 hrs per week) that reports directly to the Executive Director. The selected candidate will work with the Executive Director to determine what 20 hour per week schedule will work best.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the management, maintenance and reporting of all financial and human resources data at American Hiking Society, using QuickBooks Premium and MS Office software.
- Provide critical financial and operational information to the Executive Director, and prepare and maintain regular financial reports to staff.
- Review all month-end closing activities including general ledger maintenance, balance sheet reconciliations and overhead cost allocation. Reconcile bank statements on a monthly basis and prepare monthly financial reports from QuickBooks to Excel for the Executive Director, Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Serve as liaison with outside contractors for annual audit and 990 preparation.
- Administer annual budget development. Monitor and maintain all financial information, including grants monitoring and reporting, the accounts payable system, payroll, bank deposits and reconciliation, funds received and receivable, and travel reimbursements.
- Administer all human resources services for a small staff, including health and retirement benefits package, payroll and leave; and manage the organization’s insurance plans.
- Assist with periodic membership mailings, data entry and website content updating as needed.
- National Trails Day kit fulfillment and volunteer vacations host package fulfillment.
- Oversee general office management, including but not limited to: inventory and management of Hiker Store, inventory of in-kind product, filing paperwork (digitally and physically), distributing mail, and keeping office and storeroom supplies organized and filled.
- Logistics and reservations for local annual board of directors meeting.
- Assist with logistics for other AHS meetings, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance/accounting, or related field, and at least 3 years experience preferred.
- Candidate should thrive in a deadline-driven environment and possess experience implementing generally-accepted accounting principles.
- Knowledge and understanding of fund accounting principles, practices and regulations, especially related to non-profit accounting and management.
- Demonstrated experience in QuickBooks Pro and MS Office.
- Demonstrated database management skills with ability to produce reports. Ability to use advanced computer functions.
- Strong organizational skills and accuracy, attention to detail and ability to multi-task with efficiency and accuracy.
- A positive attitude, interpersonal skills, and strong written and verbal communication.
- Enjoyment of hiking and the great outdoors is a plus.
American Hiking Society is the only national organization dedicated to promoting and protecting America’s hiking trails, the natural areas that surround them, and the hiking experience. We provide an exciting, creative, and professional yet relaxed nonprofit atmosphere with a strong outdoor and conservation ethic. American Hiking Society is easily accessible by Metro (Red Line, Silver Spring) and offers benefits including health insurance and generous leave policies. Salary commensurate with experience, between $25,000 and $29,000.
Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least 3 references with the subject line “FOM Job Search” to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. American Hiking Society is an equal opportunity employer.