American Hiking Society Ambassador, Michael Lanza, responds to our #HikingMakesMe interview.
1. My name is Michael Lanza
2. When I go on a hike, I never leave home without hugging my family (unless they’re going with me).
3. My favorite book about the outdoors is tough to pick, but probably Desert Solitaire, by Edward Abbey.
4. In addition to hiking, I love spending time rock climbing and backcountry skiing, especially with my kids.
5. America’s inadequate response to climate change frustrates me more than anything in the whole world.
6. I’m most proud of my kids, first and foremost, but also publishing an award-winning book about spending a year taking our young kids on wilderness adventures in national parks facing severe threats from climate change.
7. If I could have a superpower it would be the ability to create more time because it’s really all I need.
8. My favorite meal after a strenuous hike is pizza and beer. What else is there???
9. Of all the things still to do on my bucket list, I’m most excited about whatever adventure I’m planning to do next with my family, which this summer is trekking the Tour du Mont Blanc.
10. My best piece of trail advice is before you finish the hike you’re on, start making plans for the next one.
11. #HikingMakesMe believe there’s hope for our world.