Would you like to join us as we empower all to enjoy, share, and preserve the hiking experience? Learn more about our NextGen Trail Leader and Ambassador programs.
Two Ways Individuals Can Partner With American Hiking Society
NextGen Trail Leaders are rising stars in the outdoor community and the voice of young hikers who take part in a yearlong program of advocacy and stewardship to protect public lands.
Each year American Hiking brings together rising stars in the outdoor community from all walks of life and across the country. Through American Hiking, NextGen Trail Leaders are the voice of young hikers and speak out to elected officials and the public on the need to protect public lands for all to enjoy and to expand and preserve trail access. Over the course of the year, NextGen Trail Leaders share their passions to advocate for public lands and trails and inspire other young hikers to get out and experience what the trails have to offer.
Hike the Hill® 2019 Wraps-up with Senate Passage of Public Lands Package, including LWCF Photographer’s Name A whirlwind Hike the Hill® just concluded with major victories and breakthroughs on legislation…
American Hiking Launches 2019 NextGen Trail Leaders The second class of AHS NextGen Trail Leaders brings together rising stars in the outdoor community from all walks of life and across…
In order to explain and emphasize the importance of what being a NextGen Trail Leader means to me, I must first take you on a journey of how I started…
2018 Report Together We Improved 3,954 Miles of Trail June 2, 2018 For 25 years, National Trails Day® has united the trails community on the first Saturday of June with…
The most vivid memory I have of Hike The Hill® is standing next to Abraham Lincoln’s embodiment in the Lincoln Memorial at sunset and reading part of the Gettysburg Address –…
It looks like our targeted advocacy worked! On March 22, Congress passed legislation to fund the government through October 2018. While we’re still going through the 2,232 page bill for…
Hiking experts, leaders, content creators, and most importantly passionate advocates of the hiking experience.
- Represent American Hiking Society as a voice for hiking and public lands across social media and AHS communications.
- Provide content and storytelling for the AHS Blog and social media channels.
- Receive advocacy and communications resources to be effective advocates and leaders.
- Join or support annual National Trails Day® events in their local areas in June as a host or participant.
- Have the opportunity to participate in an American Hiking Volunteer Vacation stewardship trip.
- Participate in other AHS advocacy campaigns, programs, and activities.
AHS Provides Ambassadors:
- 1-year Hiker membership to AHS (includes a 1 year subscription to BACKPACKER magazine).
- Discounted registration for an American Hiking Volunteer Vacation trip.
- Networking opportunities with leaders and other professionals in the outdoor industry.
- Swag and gear from AHS and corporate sponsors.
AHS Ambassador Applicants should be:
- Passionate about outdoor advocacy, hiking, and stewardship.
- Excellent, dynamic communicators.
- Available to engage regularly throughout the year on social media and AHS communications on efforts to protect public lands, hiking, and diversity in the outdoors.