Alternative Break Financial Assistance Application
American Hiking Society's Alternative Break financial assistance grants your school group the opportunity to participate in a 2023 Alternative Break. If selected, your group will participate in a week-long service trip that provides leadership training, team-building opportunities, outdoor skills instruction from leaders in the field, and critical conservation work to a park or forest in need.
Alternative Break financial assistance is need-based. All are encouraged to apply, but priority will be given to groups that have historically faced barriers to accessing outdoor programing.
The financial assistance includes:
- 1-week indoor lodging
- $750 Group food stipend
- Up to $3,000 Group travel stipend (or $300/person for 10 people)
- Support for Trip Gear Needs
- Long-sleeved shirt and other assorted gear for each participant
- Training and project supervision from experienced park staff
- Logistical support and meal planning guidance