The success of the Volunteer Vacations program depends on hard working and dedicated volunteers. If you are interested in taking on a more active role during your next Volunteer Vacation and contributing your leadership skills and personality to help fellow crew members, consider being an American Hiking Society Crew Leader.
AHS Crew Leaders act as liaisons between the AHS office, the project host and the crew. You do not need to be an expert trail builder to take on the role of Crew Leader, but you do need to have prior volunteer vacation experience, have good communication and organizational skills, and be a flexible team player.
Join us in this important endeavor to improve our trails and ensure a memorable experience for all of our volunteers!
"In ‘giving back’ I always receive more than I give and I love having my “office” in the great outdoors! The greatest reward is to empower volunteers with new skills and the pleasure of a job well done."
- AHS Crew Leader, Mary Chayka-Crawford
"It is a pleasure to work with crew members. Not only do you meet new friends and renew old friendships, but you also have a sense of accomplishment and ownership."
- AHS Crew Leader, Phil Meinert
Become an American Hiking Society Crew Leader
1. To better understand the responsibilities of American Hiking Society Volunteer Vacation Crew Leaders please read the Crew Leader Job Description and watch the following 10-minute Orientation video:
2. Submit a 2017 Volunteer Vacations Crew Leader Application. You will receive confirmation that we received your application. Please Note: there are currently no open Crew Leader positions for 2017 trips. Feel free to submit your application and we will keep it on file for future trips.
3. If you would like to get involved but are not sure you are ready to lead a crew on your own, please contact Libby Wile at LWile@AmericanHiking.org or call 1-800-972-8608 ext. 704. We will keep your contact information on file for future correspondence, orientation dates, and training information, and can potentially arrange for you to shadow an experienced Crew Leader on your next trip.
Crew Leader Benefits
Leading a Volunteer Vacation crew for American Hiking is immensely rewarding and one of today’s premier volunteer leadership positions working to support America’s trails. You will gain hands-on leadership experience, receive training materials and resources, access to early trip registration, and your registration fee will be waived for trips that you lead. In addition to these benefits, we are often able to provide gear and product samples from our generous sponsors as an added THANK YOU for your efforts.
Thank You to the following sponsors for providing product for our 2017 Crew Leaders!