We understand that with reduced budgets and limited resources, trail building and maintaining needs often get backlogged or remain incomplete. Our Volunteer Vacations program is designed to send you a crew of eager volunteers, ready to assist with your trail needs.
Volunteer Vacations are week-long trail building/maintaining projects organized by American Hiking Society & hosted by BLM, NPS, USDA-FS, USFWS, state parks, trail organizations and other nonprofit partner groups across the country. Most projects are one-week or shorter in length, consist of 6-10 crew members, and involve trail maintenance and building tasks on hiking trails on public lands.
2021 VOLUNTEER UPDATE: We are hopeful that we will be able to run some stewardship trips in 2021 with new guidelines and safety procedures in place to mitigate the spread and transmission of coronavirus.
We are now accepting crew requests for the 2021 volunteer year and aim to open registration in January/February. Please read through the Host Guide as well as the COVID specific requirements for hosting a crew with us.
- Promotion of your trip nationally through our website, social media, industry events and through our sponsors and partners
- Logistical support and communication throughout the planning and trip process
- Volunteer food stipend
- Assistance from a volunteer crew leader who will aid with menu planning, food shopping and lodging logistics
- Project plan and backup plan
- Technical expertise and supervision of the volunteers
- Lodging/Accommodations for volunteers (cabin, lodge, house, improved or primitive campsite)
- Tools & safety equipment/first-aid supplies
- Group cooking supplies including stove, pots, pans, utensils, and fuel (see AHS Volunteer Vacations Group Cooking Gear)
- Follow the COVID specific guidelines for hosting