We understand that with reduced budgets and limited resources, trail building and maintaining needs often get backlogged or remain incomplete. Our Volunteer Vacations program is designed to send you a crew of eager volunteers, ready to assist with your trail needs.
Volunteer Vacations are week-long trail building/maintaining projects organized by American Hiking Society & hosted by BLM, NPS, USDA-FS, USFWS, state parks, trail organizations and other nonprofit partner groups across the country. Most projects are one-week or shorter in length, consist of 6-10 crew members, and involve trail maintenance and building tasks on hiking trails on public lands.
Host Information Session
Join a virtual informational session to learn about hosting a Volunteer Vacation with AHS! This interactive session will provide an in-depth discussion on the benefits and requirements of hosting an AHS crew with an opportunity to ask questions. The webinar will take place on Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 2pm Eastern Time. Register for the webinar by filling out your details in the form below:
- Promotion of your trip nationally through our website, social media, industry events and through our sponsors and partners
- Logistical support and communication throughout the planning and trip process
- Volunteer food stipend
- Assistance from a volunteer crew leader who will aid with menu planning, food shopping and lodging logistics
- Project plan and backup plan
- Technical expertise and supervision of the volunteers
- Lodging/Accommodations for volunteers (cabin, lodge, house, improved or primitive campsite)
- Tools & safety equipment/first-aid supplies
- Group cooking supplies including stove, pots, pans, utensils, and fuel (see AHS Volunteer Vacations Group Cooking Gear)
- Follow the COVID specific guidelines for hosting