We understand that with reduced budgets and limited resources, trail building and maintaining needs often get backlogged or remain incomplete. Our Volunteer Vacations program is designed to send you a crew of eager volunteers, ready to assist with your trail needs.
Volunteer Vacations are week-long trail building/maintaining projects organized by American Hiking Society & hosted by BLM, NPS, USDA-FS, USFWS, state parks, trail organizations and other nonprofit partner groups across the country. Most projects are one-week or shorter in length, consist of 6-10 crew members, and involve trail maintenance and building tasks on hiking trails on public lands.
For more information, please watch the following virtual information session that provides an in-depth discussion on the benefits and requirements of hosting an AHS Volunteer Vacation crew.
- Promotion of your trip nationally through our website, social media, industry events and through our sponsors and partners
- Logistical support and communication throughout the planning and trip process
- Volunteer food stipend
- Assistance from a volunteer crew leader who will aid with menu planning, food shopping and lodging logistics
- Project plan and backup plan
- Technical expertise and supervision of the volunteers
- Lodging/Accommodations for volunteers (cabin, lodge, house, improved or primitive campsite)
- Tools & safety equipment/first-aid supplies
- Group cooking supplies including stove, pots, pans, utensils, and fuel (see AHS Volunteer Vacations Group Cooking Gear)
- Follow the COVID specific guidelines for hosting