Registration Now Open!
We hope you will join us March 8-26, 2021 for Virtual Hike the Hill 2021®!
Now in its 24th year, Hike the Hill® is a joint effort between the American Hiking Society and the Partnership for the National Trails System to bring together the trails community to advance shared trail priorities with congressional and federal agency leaders including trails funding, public lands management, Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI), and other top priority issues that sustain trails and improve access to public lands.
In 2021, due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, trail partners from across the nation will come together VIRTUALLY to advocate for legislation, learn about new policies, and meet with federal partners, elected officials and their staff, and fellow trail organizations.
We have designed a Tentative Schedule to maximize planning and participation virtually that will occur on select afternoons (2pm-5pm EST) over a three week period.
Plan to join us on select afternoons (2-5pm EST) March 8-26 for briefings on the top trail issues before Congress and federal agencies, how to advocate for trails, hear from federal partners and agency leaders, meet with your Member of Congress (scheduled on your own), meet with the staff of select Congressional Committee staff (registration doesn’t guarantee meeting participation), and network with other trail organizations and user groups.
If this is your first Hike the Hill®, you haven't attended in a few years, or haven’t been able to travel to DC, we encourage you to join us in 2021 in this virtual format!
(No Cost for Federal Agency Partners)
What’s Included in Registration
- Hike the Hill® Issue Briefings (Live and Recorded)
- Training Session and Resources on Running an Effective Virtual Congressional Meeting
- Hike the Hill® Branded Advocacy Materials for Congressional Meetings (Talking Points, Fact Sheets, and Leave Behinds)
- Virtual Social Hour to connect with other Trail Organizations, DC partners, and others.
- Individual Congressional Office Meetings (scheduled on your own) as part of the collective Hike the Hill® effort.
- A Virtual Meeting Guide is provided after registering to help you schedule and plan your meetings.
- Potential to attend group meetings with congressional committee and agency staff. (Registration does not guarantee access to group meetings. Participation may be limited due to capacity, issue focus, or any other reason.)
Scheduling Meetings with Your Members of Congress
Hike the Hill participants are encouraged to schedule meetings with their Members of Congress. Upon registration you will receive access to a Virtual Meeting Guide to assist you in this process.
Virtual Hike the Hill 2021 Tentative Schedule
March 8-26, 2021
All Briefings and Meetings will be scheduled between 2-5pm EST to the extent possible
(Detailed Schedule Available Following Registration)
Briefings Prior to Hike the HillⓇ
- Congress 101 and New Administration Updates (Recorded Only-Available mid-February)
- Using Zoom during Hike the HillⓇ Training Session (TBA)
Week 1 (March 8-12) : Issue Briefings*
(All briefings will be recorded for future viewing)
- Appropriations and Trails Funding
- Messaging Trails to Congressional Priorities (Climate, Transportation/Infrastructure, Economic Recovery, and Health)
- Implementing the Great American Outdoors Act (LWCF and Deferred Maintenance)
- Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Legislative and Administrative Advocacy
- Transportation and Infrastructure as it relates to Trails
*Issue Briefings subject to change
Week 2 (March 15-19): Agency Group Meetings/Self-Scheduled Meetings with your Members of Congress
Meetings to be Requested/Confirmed
- National Park Service Leadership
- US Forest Service Leadership
- Bureau of Land Management Leadership
- Department of Interior and US Forest Service Land Acquisition Leads
- Office of Management and Budget- DOI and Related Agencies
Week 3 (March 22-26): Congressional Committee Group Meetings/Self-Scheduled Meetings with your Members of Congress
Meetings to be Requested/Confirmed
- Senate Interior Appropriations Committee Staff (Majority and Minority)
- House Interior Appropriations Committee Staff (Majority and Minority)
- Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee Staff (Majority and Minority)
- House Natural Resources Committee Staff (Majority)
- House Natural Resources Committee Staff (Minority)
- Registration does not guarantee access to group meetings.
- Participation may be limited due to capacity, issue focus, or any other reason.
- Meeting Agendas and Speakers will be set-in pre-meeting planning sessions.
- Information on meeting participation is forthcoming.