There’s something magical about being outdoors. Fresh air, birds singing, moving along a trail or even just around the block – there’s nothing quite like it. But today, those trails and public spaces are in dire need of help —and not everyone has access to these places that can calm and inspire. National Trails Day® is the perfect opportunity to get out there with the people you love, give back to the trails that bring us together, and make sure no one is left out.
Connect with the people near you who share your love of being outside. Build your local community and join the nationwide movement to give back to the trails and make sure everyone can enjoy the outdoors.
Share your impact by tagging #NationalTrailsDay and @AmericanHiking.
2022 National Trails Day® Pledge
“In honor of #NationalTrailsDay, I’ll leave the trail and the outdoor community better than I found them.”
Take the pledge by June 6 to be entered to win premium gear prize packs.
By taking the pledge you agree to receive emails from American Hiking Society. You can unsubscribe at any time; we will never share your email address.
Easy Actions to Make a Difference
Here are easy ways to celebrate the 30th annual #NationalTrailsDay. Complete one task or really boost your trail cred by completing all of them:
Leave a trail better than you found it
Commit to taking a trash bag with you whenever you hike or go for a walk. Collect trash on a local trail, along your neighborhood sidewalk, or in a natural space near you.
* Federal funding not used for National Trails Day® advocacy actions.
Wear Your Love of Trails
American Hiking has released a new design in time for National Trails Day®. Each time you sport the ‘Leave it Better Than You Found It’ apparel, you’ll feel great knowing the proceeds help care for trails and public lands.
Available on a variety of products including wicking tees, hats, mugs, and stickers in countless colors and styles.
National Trails Day® Photo Contest
Share Photos. Win Gear.
Share how you are leaving the trail and the outdoor community better than you found them. Tag #NationalTrailsDay and @AmericanHiking in your social media posts.
Share your photos and videos on Instagram, and you will be entered to win a gear prize package. The contest ends June 6, so start tag'n.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I submit a pledge?
By pledging to leave the trail and the outdoor community better than you found it, you’ll join a nationwide movement to build an inclusive trails community, engaged in advocacy and trail service. You will take action to care for beloved trails and outdoor urban and wild spaces vital to people’s health and well-being across the country. Plus, you will be entered to win awesome outdoor gear leading up to National Trails Day® on June 4.
How does this pledge work?
Submit the online pledge, and we’ll send you easy ways to take action on National Trails Day® and all year. After National Trails Day®, everyone who takes the pledge will be entered to win the grand prize package of premium outdoor gear.
I took the pledge! Now, what do I do?
Here are easy ways to fulfill your #NationalTrailsDay pledge. Complete one task or really boost your trail cred by completing all of them:
- Speak up: Tell your Member of Congress how much you value outdoor spaces, and ask them to pass bipartisan legislation supporting trails, public lands, and inclusive access for all.
- Leave a trail better than you found it: Commit to taking a trash bag with you whenever you hike or go for a walk. Collect trash on a local trail, along your neighborhood sidewalk, or in a natural space near you.
- Commit to Trail Service in 2022:
- Find a trail service project on National Trails Day®, or sign up for a trail project later this year.
- National Public Lands Day on September 24 is a great way to assist with various projects designed to restore and enhance public parks, forests, waterways, and more.
- Sign up for an American Hiking Volunteer Vacation this year, and spend a week giving back to the trails you love.
- #RecreateResponsibly: Keep yourself healthy, keep others safe, and preserve and protect our public lands, waters, and parks. Check out these helpful guidelines and join the movement.
- Give a gift: Join a local trail nonprofit and donate to American Hiking to help build an inclusive hiking community to protect your favorite trails and fight for access for all today and for future generations.
- Do you have an idea of your own? We can't wait to see what you come up with! Just be sure to use
How do I share what I did on National Trails Day®?
Share how you’ll leave the trail and the outdoor community better than you found it. Tag your photos and stories with #NationalTrailsDay, and @AmericanHiking on social media.
Still have questions?