You don’t have to go it alone. National Trails Day® provides the perfect opportunity to set off on a local trail with others in your community. Join the nationwide movement to give back to trails and build a world where everyone feels welcome and has access to enjoy the great outdoors.
Share your impact by tagging #NationalTrailsDay and @AmericanHiking.
2024 National Trails Day® Pledge
“In honor of #NationalTrailsDay, I’ll leave the trails and the outdoor community better than I found them.”
Take the pledge by June 8 to be entered to win premium gear prize packs.
By taking the pledge you agree to receive emails from American Hiking Society. You can unsubscribe at any time; we will never share your email address.
Easy Actions to Make a Difference
Here are easy ways to celebrate #NationalTrailsDay. Complete one task or really boost your trail cred by completing all of them:
Leave a trail better than you found it
Commit to taking a trash bag with you whenever you hike or go for a walk. Collect trash on a local trail, along your neighborhood sidewalk, or in a natural space near you.
* Federal funding not used for National Trails Day® advocacy actions.
National Trails Day® Photo Contest
Share Photos. Win Gear.
How will you leave the trails and the outdoor community better than you found them for National Trails Day? Tag @AmericanHiking and #NationalTrailsDay in your favorite trail photos or videos on Instagram for a chance to win one of four gear prize packages. Photo contest submissions must agree to the American Hiking Media Agreement.
The contest ends June 8, so start tag'n.
2024 Gear Prize Package Details Coming Soon!
*Check out last year's prize!
- LEKI Trekking Poles
- LOWA Hiking Boots or Shoes (up to $250)
- Fjällräven Vidda Pro or Keb Trousers
- Moosejaw Chilladilla 42 Can Soft-Sided Cooler
- AKHG Olympic Coast 2.5L Rain Jacket
- Osprey Hikelite 26 Pack
- ust - Fillmatic Self-Inflating Air Mat
- Brunton Navigator Bundle
- Climb Everest Challenge entry
- Stanley Classic Legendary Bottle 1QT
- Klean Kanteen Insulated Water Bottle
- Athletic Brewing Co. (two six-packs)
- Your True Nature Advice From the Trail card set
- Two Backpacker's Pantry meals
- Assorted AHS sticker pack
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I take the pledge?
By pledging to leave the trails and the outdoor community better than you found them, you’ll join a nationwide movement to build an inclusive trails community, engaged in advocacy and trail service. You will take action to care for beloved trails and outdoor spaces vital to people’s health and well-being across the country. Plus, you’ll be entered to win awesome outdoor gear prizes.
How does the pledge work?
Submit the online pledge, and we’ll send you easy ways to take action on National Trails Day® and all year long. After National Trails Day®, everyone who takes the pledge will be entered to win the grand prize package of premium outdoor gear.
I took the pledge! Now, what do I do?
Here are easy ways to fulfill your #NationalTrailsDay pledge. Complete one task or really boost your trail cred by completing all of them in 2024:
- Leave a trail better than you found it: Commit to taking a trash bag with you whenever you hike or go for a walk. Collect trash on a local trail, along your neighborhood sidewalk, or in a natural space near you.
- Commit to Trail Service in 2024:
- Find a trail service project on National Trails Day®, or sign up for a trail project later this year.
- National Public Lands Day on September 28 is a great way to assist with various projects designed to restore and enhance public parks, forests, waterways, and more.
- Sign up for an American Hiking Volunteer Vacation this year, and spend a week giving back to the trails you love.
- Speak up: Tell your Member of Congress how much you value outdoor spaces, and ask them to pass bipartisan legislation supporting trails, public lands, and inclusive access for all.
- Give a gift: Join a local trail nonprofit and donate to American Hiking to help build an inclusive hiking community to protect your favorite trails and advocate for access for all today and for future generations.
- #RecreateResponsibly: Keep yourself, others, and outdoor places safe. Review the guidelines and join the movement.
- Do you have an idea of your own? We can't wait to see what you come up with! Be sure to tag #NationalTrailsDay and @AmericanHiking so we can follow along.
How do I share what I did on National Trails Day®?
Share how you’ll leave the trails and the outdoor community better than you found them. Tag your photos and stories with #NationalTrailsDay, and @AmericanHiking on social media.
Still have questions?